United Airlines Senior Manager - IT Application Development in Gurgaon, India
We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
The United IT team designs, develops and maintains massively scaling technology solutions that are brought to life with innovative architectures, data analytics and digital solutions.
Job overview and responsibilities
The primary purpose of the Sr. Manager IT Application Development position is to lead a team in the analysis, design, development, implementation and maintenance of United's software applications. It is critical that this role establish and maintain strong stakeholder relationships with both senior and operating level business and IT leaders and be the key interface point of contact with the business and IT partners. This role is accountable for the strategy, delivery effectiveness and administration of all the India Delivery Center resources.
• Accountable for effective project management and delivery of work requests and projects within committed budget, schedule and quality while also meeting overall department performance goals
• Accountable for gaining and maintaining alignment of delivery success criteria
• Responsible for escalating, assisting and follow-through on resolution of issues related to delivery of technology solutions
• Accountable for ensuring technology solutions comply with architectural standards
• Accountable for identifying needs, securing commitments and monitoring progress of deliverables from internal and external service provider teams
• Provide cost estimates and business case updates
• Responsible for communication of progress to key stakeholders Responsible for organizing and maintaining performance of any application issues in accordance with agreed SLA
• Decision making responsibility within the discipline and escalates any issues which cannot be resolved to the Director or Managing Director
• Tasked with understanding all of the operating policies and procedures of the enterprise
IT Process Mgmt. and Administrative:
• Define, prioritize, allocate resources, track and provide status reporting of work assignments, projects, programs
• Act as the point of contact for the India Delivery Center and facilitate the demand management and prioritization processes
• Budget and cost management for the projects/programs
• Ensure IT application development process disciplines (solution delivery, project management, work requests, QA, etc.) and standards are established, effectively managed and performed.
• Provide information and periodic updates to support overall IT performance metrics, monthly project status reporting and quarterly resource planning review.
• Ability to manage up to 5 or more project
• Ability to manage up to 7 or more direct reports
• Ability to manage up to 2-5 M in budget
• Ability to manage up to 3 Business Partners or senior stakeholders
• ensures projects/programs are completed within the committed time and budget and are integrated with other software applications
• Directs multiple teams of developers involved in the analysis, design and development of complex and large scale projects
Organizational Effectiveness / People:
• Accountable for management of delivery resources in the India Delivery Center
• Provide leadership by establishing department and individual goals
• Responsible for assessing and recommending improvements to the organization structure, roles and responsibilities
• Responsible for department and individual performance assessments and improvement plans.
• Responsible for coaching, counseling, assisting employees to develop individual career development and training plans
• This Sr. Manager is accountable for maximizing the productivity his/her team, ensuring maintainability of software systems, expanding knowledge of new technologies, incorporating those technologies when appropriate and motivating others to utilize them
This position is offered on local terms and conditions. Expatriate assignments and sponsorship for employment visas, even on a time-limited visa status, will not be awarded.
Bachelors degree, preferably in Information Technology or Business or equivalent experience, education, or training.
10+ years experience in software development
5+ years managing a high-performance software development team
2+ years of experience in managing onshore/offshore delivery
Experience in improving software delivery team effectiveness
Experience in leading or coordinating solutions across multiple teams
Agile delivery frameworks
Strong knowledge of Java, SQL and Design Patterns
Good facilitation and negotiation skills
Effective people management skills
Strategic Planning – The ability to visualize and plan for outcomes in the future, and sustain work in achieving the outcomes. Involves an ability to support short-term trade-offs in order to achieve longer term gain.
Technical Expertise - Involves demonstrating a commitment to increasing knowledge and skills in current technical/functional area, keeping up to date on technical developments, staying informed as to industry practices, knowing how to apply relevant technical processes to appropriate business needs
Communication Skills – The ability to communicate verbally and in writing with all levels of employees and management, capable of successful formal and informal communication. Involves an ability to speak and write clearly and understandably at the right level.
Prioritization – The ability to successfully manage multiple competing work efforts across multiple teams. Involves assessing impacts, importance and urgency and setting direction and expectations – in order to meet or exceed expectations for timeliness and quality of work.
Integrity and Trust - Involves being widely trusted, being seen as a direct, truthful individual, can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner, keeps confidences, admits mistakes, and doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
Partners with Business - Acts as valued partner to business, develops relationships with customer, deals honestly and effectively with business partners, is seen in a positive light by business/customer.
Ability to understand, communicate and engage effectively with multiple stakeholders and interactions
Strong problem-solving, listening, written and verbal communication, and decision-making skills
Must be fluent in English (written and spoken)
Must be legally authorized to work in India for any employer without sponsorship
Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
"Big Picture" Thinker – The ability to maintain perspective and establish context. Involves being able to recognize patterns and predict outcomes – and leverage them to redirect personal and/or team work effort in the optimal direction.
Strategic – Ability to visualize and plan for outcomes in future, and sustain work in achieving outcomes. Involves an ability to support short-term trade-offs in order to achieve longer term gain.
Business Acumen – The ability to make insightful, successful business decisions and tradeoffs assessing the internal and external business landscape, strategies, opportunities, strengths and weaknesses. Involves knowledge of the industry – and awareness of the key trends shaping the future of the corporation.
Vendor Management – Ability to manage external vendor relationships professionally, to United’s best interests. Involves managing and negotiating contracts, statements of work and financials. Ability to hold vendors accountable to high standards of performance.
Expertise in design and implementation of high performance software solutions
Airline Revenue Management experience preferred with working knowledge of inventory forecasting and optimization, pricing and fares, OAG SIMM scheduling and/or PNR booking data
Project experience with Cloud computing.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Division: 47 Technology/IT
Function: Information Technology
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled